Sunday, May 14, 2006

"The only losers are those who don't try."

My entire junior year of high consisted of fixations. I was fixed on radiohead, keira knightley*, being a free-spirit, and how to supress these obsessions for the sake of God. Does it sound ridiculous if I say that radiohead pulled me away from walking closely with God. Rather, I think it was the simple fact that I let myself become enamered with that cool band. But I rememer thinking during that period of time that I wanted to get close to God. I would try but all my attempts seemed fruitless. I would think of times that displayed me being close to God. Well, recently, I came across a journal that I had written in during one of those fond times and found that I was struggling with very similar stuff then as I was in my junior year of high school. It really still doesn't make sense to me, but I assume that when you literally cry out to God for help when you are struggling, you feel much more in line with his step than when you "cry" out. I think the struggles of my junior year were comfortable struggles; they didn't seem to cause any direct harm to me except for my conscious, which was saying, "Forrest, you have idols." The moral of all this?: Harmless idols are so much more destructive than painful oppressions of the mind, body, and spirit.

No comments: