Thursday, November 01, 2007

Brilliance



Radiohead–Wow! In Rainbows–Wow! What can I say about their new album except that it proves that Radiohead is still completely capable of writing amazing music, even after such phenomenal releases such as Okay Computer, Kid A, and Hail To the Thief. In Rainbows presents a collection of new and innovative songs that are pretty stripped-down in production, which has given it a minimalist reputation. It is very unlike its predecessor Hail To the Thief, which is rife with an amazing array of electronic and organic instrumentation that are so perfectly blended together. It’s not to say that In Rainbows lacks that brilliant production quality, but rather it lacks the vast amount of instrumentation in many of the songs. This is not by any means a bad thing; it’s just a different way that Radiohead has chosen to craft yet another brilliant work of art. Don’t worry, though, because this record still has a lot beautiful synths, awesome beats, and rocking and jazzy guitars.

“15 Step”
I don’t know what it is about this song that draws me in so much, but whatever it is, it totally entrances me. “15 Step” starts the record off with a somewhat complicated rhythm that’s very unexpected, but then you hear Thom sing the words, “How come I end up where I started? How come I end up where I went wrong?” and at that point, you know that this song is going to groove.

“Bodysnatchers”
“Has the light gone out for you? Because the light’s gone out for me. This is the twenty-first century; it is the twenty-first century.” “Bodysnatchers” rocks so hard. In fact, of all the songs on this record, it may rock the most. The competition is really between it and “Jigsaw Falling Into Place,” but if you ask me, I think it should go to “Bodysnatchers.” Anyway, “Bodysnatchers” kicks off with a rocking start and eventually breaks to a point where the distortion is cut off and e-bows take control of the guitars. It’s great. I love it.

To be continued...

No comments: